Dogs are probably the most loved pets. As such people tend to share whatever they eat with the dog unknowing that some human foods can be dangerous to dog. It is really quite perplexing how a perfectly safe food for humans can be poisonous to dogs. Humans and dog have many genetic similarities but they are also different in a lot of ways. The inability of a dog’s system to tolerate chocolate is one of these differences. Dogs are given bits of chocolate because not many dog owners are aware of the toxic effects of this food on dogs. Chocolates are comfort foods that give humans loads of benefits. Chocolates and dogs is an equation that can have dangerous results.
The substance theobromine in chocolate is the reason why this world’s most loved treat is toxic to dogs. Theobromine the chemical that is similar to caffeine is found in cocoa beans from where chocolate is derived. Theobromine serves as a stimulant and causes frequent urination, affects the kidneys and the heart muscles as well as the central nervous system. The toxic effects of theobromine in dogs is caused by dog’s inability to digest this substance. A dog that continuously ingest small amount of chocolates will eventually develop a variety of medical concerns because the dog’s inability to digest theobromine would result to an accumulation of this toxic substance.
Dog people love chocolates and because dogs are well loved pets, the chocolate bar or the Black Forest cake the dog owner is eating will be shared with the pet. Apparently, a dog will not show signs of poisoning if only a small amount of these kinds of chocolates are consumed. Chocolate is dose dependent meaning that a dog has to ingest about 100 to 150 milligrams per kilogram of dog body weight before the toxicity level can be reached. Different types of chocolates have different toxicity levels. The toxicity level is much lower in white chocolates because this type of chocolate contains very little theobromine. About 200 ounces of white chocolates must be consumed before signs of chocolate poisoning will be seen. Milk chocolates and semi-sweet chocolates have higher theobromine content. The baking chocolate is considered to be the most dangerous among all types of chocolates. Although a dog owner may not give the dog baking chocolate it is still possible for the dog to ingest substantial amount because the dog’s nose would find where the chocolates are kept and would have an eating spree. If this happens, the dog must be taken to the vet’s at once. It is always good to know what to do if your dog eats chocolate.