There are plenty of apparent reasons why come command should be included in your Labrador training. In reality it is one of the most vital basic commands every dog must learn so as to guarantee safety. Once the come command or recall is mastered, possibly deadly situation can be forestalled by calling him to you. Aside from safety reasons, mastery of the come command also gives your lab larger freedom in some scenarios. You can allow him to run readily when you are out in the beach knowing that he will be able to always respond every time you call.
In some cases, training a Labrador with come command can be a challenge given the proven fact that this breed is commonly described as intrepid and frequently mislabeled as hyperactive. But everything is possible with proper Labrador training tips. Here is some advice to help train your Labrador with the come command:
– Start training indoors with your dog on leash. Say your dog’s name followed by the word “come.” Do it in such a manner which will attract or encourage your pet to come (using excited tone, having treats ready).
– Praise him as soon as he comes to you.
– If your Labrador doesn’t come, tug the leash a little to draw in and inspire him to come. Remember not to tug the leash cruelly to prevent your dog from associating the command with something negative.
– When he has mastered the command indoors, gradually train the command outside and off leash in a fenced-in yard.
– Use the command frequently (during dinner, playtime, to give treats) and never use it to call your dog for negative things such as punishment or baths.
– When you are teaching the come command, or any other command in fact, and your dog does not reply, do not chase him around. Though it’s driving you nuts, wait until he comes and if he does, never give punishment for it will only associate the command to something negative.
– Labradors are intelligent dogs but do not expect that this command can be mastered in one session only. Begin with the very basic and steadily build upon it. Training sessions also should be short as well as pleasurable.